After two months of voting and verdicts submitted by a panel of expert judges, the Latin-UK Awards 2014 (better known as The LUKAS) has announced the British public's favourite Latin and Spanish music.
Cali born Dorance Lorza, topped his recent success at the famous Feria de Cali, Colombia, by winning the Tropical Act of the Year, whilst Patrick Forge's DA LATA made a comeback after their hiatus, by scooping Brazilian Act of the Year. Internationally renowned Bolivian classical pianist and child prodigy Ana Maria Vera took the Classical Act of the Year, and popular fusion band WARA, the new sound of Latin London, won Alternative Act of the Year.
The winners will be presented their awards at The LUKAS Gala Ceremony at KOKO, on 30th April, where legendary Flamenco guitarist, Paco Peña, who will also be presented with a LUKAS Fellowship Award for his contribution to British Music, and the best of home grown Latin talent will perform on stage. Joining them will be international winners, such as Puerto Rican Salsa superstar Yan Collazo, who won Concert by International Artist of the Year, and will be flying in to perform.
Music performances will be accompanied by the Latin Dance Winners - Salsa, Samba, Flamenco, Tango and KIzomba - in a spectacular medley choreographed by Strictly's Richard Marcel.
Tens of thousands of Latinos, Spaniards and British Latin culture lovers voted for their favourite Latin and Spanish acts, artists and concerts of the year over the last two months. Over 400 nominations were submitted for 13 Music Awards.
Global popstar Marc Anthony was winner of the International Artist of the Year. LUKAS foubdre and director Amaranta Wright said: ""The LUKAS is an amazing event, in which established international Latin stars share the stage with new musical sensations as such as Javier Moreno (Vocalist of the Year) and Musician of the Year Camilo Menjura who are making their careers in the UK"
"In the United States they've been recognising the quality and popularity of Latin and Spanish music for years. With so many Latinos in Europe and the popularity of the culture here, it is natural that we should have our own awards of this side of the Atlantic," said David Bisbal, Spain's most successful pop artist of the last decade.
The winners of the awards for outstanding contribution to music are:
- Tropical Act of the Year: Dorance Lorza and Sexteto Cafe (Colombia)
- Musician of the Year: Camilo Menjura (Colombia)·
- Vocalist of the Year: Javier Moreno (Spain)·
- Brazilian Act of the Year: Da Lata (UK/Brazil)
- International Artist of the Year: Marc Anthony (Puerto Rico)·
- Classical, Folk or Jazz Act of the Year: Ana Maria Vera (Bolivia)·
- Urban Act of the Year: Ando y Mello (Colombia)·
- Alternative Act of the Year: WARA (Cuba, London remix)·
- Tropical DJ of the Year: Fernando KBZOn (Colombia)
- Brazilian DJ of the Year: DJ Bruno Camargo (Brazil)
- Crossover DJ of the Year: Saul Maya (Ecuador)
- Concert of the Year: Roberto Pla and his Latin Ensemble at Glastonbury
- Concert by International Artist of the Year: Yan Collazo at The River of Life (Puerto Rico)
The LUKAS is the only annual award ceremony to recognise the contributions of one million Latin American, Spanish and Portuguese residents to British life. Now in its third year, it is the fastest-growing awards ceremony in the UK and most media-covered Latin event in UK history.
The public voted in seven award categories marking contributions to the arts, music, sport, dance, food, business and community. In all, 1200 individuals and organizations were nominated for one of 56 LUKAS awards.
"It still amazes me the amount of Latino talent based in the UK. This year the winners are a proof of that and i wish the best to them all" says guitarist Phil Manzanera (Roxy Music), recipient of LUKAS 2013 Lifetime Achievement Awardee. "The LUKAS is a fantastic event, recognizing Latino contribution to UK and global culture, which is long overdue."
Many International Latin superstars have lined up to show their support, including Juanes, multi-Grammy award winner and currently the world's most popular all-speaking Spanish-speaking artist, who said."The LUKAS are doing a great job celebrating and rewarding the talent and efforts of our cultures in the UK and Europe."
The Gala Ceremony on 30th of April at KOKO, will be hosted by Boris Izaguirre, one of the Spanish world's biggest TV show hosts. Last year's LUKAS awards were presented by Pink Floyd's David Gilmour, fashion queen Vivienne Westwood and ballet star Tamara Rojo.
The event is organised by www.Latinolife.co.uk, the UK's leading Latino lifestyle magazine. Visit www.thelukas.co.uk, founded by journalist, writer and social entrepreneur Amaranta Wright and Latin DJ, producer and promoter Jose Luis Seijas.
The runners-up for the Music Awards are:
* Musician of the Year: Javier Moreno
* Vocalist of the Year: Lino Rocha
* International Artist of the Year: Juan Luis Guerra
* Classical, Folk or Jazz Act of the Year: Clasico Latino
* Tropical Act of the Year: Conjunto Sabroso
* Urban Act of the Year: Menace and Poeta
* Brazilian Act of the Year: Tropicalia
* Alternative Act of the Year: Tumbaito
* Tropical DJ of the Year: Dani K
* Brazilian DJ of the Year: Fabricio D.Vyzor
* Crossover DJ of the Year: DJ Urbano
* Concert of the Year: Family Atlantica at Royal Albert Hall
* Concert by International Artist of the Year: Juan Luis Guerra at Royal Albert Hall
THE LUKAS 2014 MUSIC CATEGORY IS SPONSORED BY:
The iconic recording studios SSR will give free studio time, engineers and training to the winners. SSR's Head of Audio, Jonathan Espinoza says: "We feel very proud to be able to part of this project which brings us the very best of Latino music in the UK and we are really looking forward to having these bands in our studios. We have state of the art facilities including a Neve room where many great records have been made and the vibe is that we have at SSR London is great and very creative which without a doubt will benefit these amazing artists during their sessions."
For more information and pictures visit contact email@example.com or call 07806 689 836 or 07868 715 249.