ALL Awards in this category, with the exception of Dance Festival of the Year, are decided by popular vote in the first round, and 50% judging panel - 50% popular vote in the second round. The top five most-voted-for candidates from the first round will enter the second and final round, with their votes carried through, after which the winners and runners up will be decided 50% by judging panel and on 50% popular vote.
DANCE PERFORMERS OF THE YEAR
1. All Dance performers must have performed at least 12 times in the last year. 2. All dance performers must have either a website or Facebook fan page.
DANCE TEACHERS OF THE YEAR
2. All teachers must be offering classes at least one a week 2. All teachers must have a website or Facebook (Fan Page) page
DANCE SCHOOLS OF THE YEAR
3. All dance schools must be companies registered by guarantee and have a registered address
DANCE FESTIVAL OF THE YEAR
4. Dance Festival of the Year is decided 100% by popular vote. There is no panel judging for this Award.
JUDGING PROCESS AND CRITERIA
The LUKAS will endeavour to send atleast one of the judges to view the class of each finalist. Dance teachers who reach the final will also be asked to submit a video of one of their classes or workshops or a demonstration for the judges to view. The judges will assess the finalists on the following criteria:
- TECHNICAL ABILITY: posture, alignment, co-ordination, balance, strength, flexibility, mobility and control.
- COMMUNICATION of technical abilitity
- TEACHING the dance within its cultural and historical context and fostering an understanding and respect of that context
- MUSICAL APPRECIATION: nurturing a connection between the dance and its music.
- PASSION: transmitting a passion for the dance, music and culture.
- DEMONSTRATION: of style, mood and choreography.
- SENSE OF PERFORMANCE: focus, projection, musicality, sensitivity, communication, energy, commitment.
Dance performers reach the final will be asked to submit videos of their classes and performances for the judges to view in the event that judges cannot go in person to see them.
Performers will be evaluated on:
- TIMING & RYTHMN
- MUSICALITY, FEELING AND EXPRESSION
- FOOT AND LEG ACTION
- LEAD AND FOLLOW
If you would like help publicising your nomination, 'I am a nominee' and 'we are a nominee' posters and online banners are available here